These Halloween themed Black Velvet Cupcakes are unbelievably tender and are perfect for bringing to a festive party. They’re made with black cocoa powder and topped with a beautifully colored cream cheese frosting.
For the Black Velvet Cupcakes:
- 120 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 25 g (1/4 cup) black cocoa powder
- 200 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk, room temperature, we use full fat
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) strong hot coffee
For the Black Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 170 g (6 oz) full-fat block cream cheese, room temperature
- 240 g (2 cups) powdered sugar
- 50 g (1/2 cup) black cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
Black Velvet Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 12-well muffin/cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, black cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the egg, vanilla, vinegar, vegetable oil, and buttermilk and whisk until well combined.
- Gradually add the hot coffee, mixing until smooth and combined. Don’t over mix. The batter will be very thin.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter (scrape out every last drop with a silicone spatula). Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. A few moist crumbs are ok as long as there’s no wet batter.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then use a knife to gently pop them out of the tin. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting, about 50 minutes.
Black Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment), beat the softened cream cheese on medium-high speed for 1 minute until creamy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add the powdered sugar, black cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Pulse on low speed a few times then continue mixing on low speed until well combined. This prevents the sugar from flying everywhere.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes (we use Wilton’s 1M tip). Decorate as desired and enjoy!
Set out the wet ingredients (except the coffee) 1-2 hours before baking to bring them to room temperature. This is important for proper batter consistency and cupcake texture.
Storage: Cover and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. See post for freezing instructions.
If scaling up, just note the liquid measurements in cups does not increase when using the scale function.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 299
- Sugar: 37.5 g
- Sodium: 165.3 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.3 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
Keywords: black velvet cupcakes, black cream cheese frosting, black cocoa cupcakes, Halloween dessert, Halloween cupcakes