These Brown Butter Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with spelt flour, brown butter, and rich dark chocolate chunks. With their crisp edges and chewy centers, it’s impossible to eat just one! Top them with flaky sea salt for a luxurious combination of sweet and salty.
- 200 g (~14 tbsp) European-style unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 100 g (1 cup) spelt flour, spooned and leveled
- 120 g (1 cup) tipo 1 flour or whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 100 g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g (5 oz) 70% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, swirling the pan occasionally.
- Once melted, continue to heat and swirl the pan (it will start to bubble and crackle at this stage). Scrape the sides and bottom of the pan with a silicone spatula to unstick any brown milk solids that have formed. Continue cooking until the butter reaches a deep amber color and emits a nutty aroma.
- Immediately transfer to a large heatproof bowl being sure to include all the brown bits/milk solids. Allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes while you chop the chocolate and prepare the other ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, tipo 1 flour (or whole wheat flour), baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Once the butter has cooled, whisk in the brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Using a silicone spatula, fold in the flour mixture until just combined. It might seem like a lot of flour at first, but it should come together after a minute or so.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chunks until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a 3 tbsp cookie scoop, measure the cookies and place them onto the prepared baking sheet 1 1/2-2 inches (4-5 cm) apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the centers look slightly underdone.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired.
Measure in grams for more accurate results. While we provide cup measurements, we can’t guarantee that your cookies will come out the same. We highly recommend using a kitchen scale when baking so you don’t overpack your flour and other ingredients. If cups are all you have, please use the spoon and level method for better results.
Store the cookies in a sealed Ziploc bag or airtight container at room temperature. They’re good for up to 4-5 days after baking, but are best after 2-3.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 17.7 g
- Sodium: 123.1 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.8 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
Keywords: spelt chocolate chip cookies, brown butter, cookies, spelt, chocolate chip cookies