These butter pecan cookies are crisp, chewy, and packed with flavor. They’re just the thing you need when you’re craving a treat in the fall and winter. The combination of brown butter, toasted pecans, and dark chocolate is what makes these ultra delicious!
- 226 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, divided
- 100 g (1/2 cup) + 2 tsp dark brown sugar (packed), divided
- 100 g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (yes, that’s a tablespoon)
- 210 g (1 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 90 g (3/4 cup) chopped pecans
- 120 g (3/4 cup) chopped dark chocolate
For the Brown Butter:
- In a small saucepan, melt 212g (15 tbsp) of butter over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally.
- Once melted, it will start to crackle and foam up. If you need to, lower heat so it doesn’t foam up too much. Stir frequently until it reaches a deep amber color. This could take up to 10 minutes depending on the material of your saucepan.
- Immediately transfer to a large heat proof bowl. Be sure to scrape out the brown bits. That’s where all the flavor is! Set aside to cool.
For the Butter Pecans:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 14 g (1 tbsp) of butter over medium heat. Add the pecans and 2 tsp of brown sugar.
- Toss the pecans for 3-4 minutes until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
For the Cookies:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the granulated sugar and 100g (1/2 cup) of brown sugar to the bowl of brown butter. Whisk together until fully combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- With a flexible spatula, fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Then fold in the chopped chocolate and pecans.
- Using a 3 tbsp cookie scoop, place each cookie next to each other on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add extra chocolate and pecans on top if desired.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour. A few minutes before removing them from the fridge, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once chilled, place the cookies 2-3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set and the centers look slightly underdone.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make sure your brown butter has fully cooled before adding the other ingredients. If it’s too hot, it may melt the chocolate and/or spread too much in the oven.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 12.9 g
- Sodium: 126.8 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 34 mg
Keywords: butter pecan cookies recipe, brown butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, holiday recipes, fall desserts