This Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry is the ultimate comfort food meal. It’s full of aromatic spices that are simmered in a delicious sauce that’s healthy and super satisfying. It comes together in one pot making it an easy weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor.
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2-inch (5 cm) knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 28-oz (790 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 14-oz (400 ml) can full-fat coconut milk, shaken
- 1/3 cup (7 g) chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- Basmati rice
- Sliced jalapeño or serrano, optional
- Prep your ingredients by cutting the onion and mincing the garlic and ginger. We like to measure out the spices beforehand and place them into a bowl or a plate so they’re ready to go.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Then add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Toss in the spices and stir them around for 20-30 seconds until fragrant. Add in the chicken and brown on all sides (about 5 minutes). Scrape any spices off the bottom of the pot so they don’t burn.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and salt and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes until thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until smooth and creamy. If needed, add a bit more salt to taste. Top with cilantro and add sliced peppers if desired. Serve warm over rice and with a side of naan or roti.
The sauce will thicken more as it cools, but if you want an even thicker sauce, simmer it for 5-10 more minutes before adding the coconut milk.
You can use 1-1 1/2 pounds of cut up chicken thighs in place of the chicken breasts.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (without rice)
- Calories: 502
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 1245.7 mg
- Fat: 30.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.4 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 36.5 g
Keywords: creamy coconut chicken curry, coconut chicken curry