This Dark Chocolate Mocha is smooth, creamy, and easy to make on the stovetop. It’s lightly sweet and is best enjoyed on a chilly day.
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 oz (60 g) high-quality 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4–1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 shots espresso
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk the milk and cocoa powder.
- As the milk starts to heat up a bit, add the dark chocolate, salt, and sugar. Whisk until everything has fully melted.
- Stir in the espresso and heat until the mixture starts to steam and bubbles form along the edges. Don’t let it come to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and use a milk frother or whisk to foam the drink.
- Pour the mocha into a cup and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.
We prefer to use whole milk, but you can use any unsweetened milk of your choice.
The espresso can be substituted for 1/4 cup (60 ml) of strong hot coffee.
Nutrition information is only an estimate and was calculated using whole milk and 3/4 tsp of sugar. For a lower calorie drink, we recommend using almond milk.
- Serving Size: 1 drink
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 16.1 g
- Sodium: 214.6 mg
- Fat: 16.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.5 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
Keywords: dark chocolate mocha, mocha recipe