Ever wanted chocolate for breakfast? This fluffy double chocolate banana bread is made with cocoa powder and filled with dark chocolate chips. Top it with flaky sea salt for an extra scrumptious treat!
- 200 g (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 50 g (1/2 cup) dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 113 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 200 g (1 cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 330 g (1 1/2 cups) mashed overripe bananas (3–4 bananas)
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) buttermilk, room temp
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 135 g (3/4 cup) dark chocolate chips, divided
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9×5″ loaf pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until fully combined. Add the mashed bananas, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Fold in the flour mixture with a flexible spatula until ALMOST combined. Fold in 90 g (1/2 cup) of the chocolate chips, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, evenly smoothing out the top. Sprinkle the remaining 45 g (1/4 cup) of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and enjoy!
Be careful not to over mix your batter.
After cooling in the pan, remove the bread by lifting it up using the overhanging parchment paper. Before doing this, run a knife along the edges to loosen it from the pan.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 371
- Sugar: 29 g
- Sodium: 213.3 mg
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.9 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 63.2 mg
Keywords: double chocolate banana bread, chocolate banana bread, banana bread, banana bread recipe, easy banana bread recipe, moist banana bread recipe