This Five Spice Dark Chocolate Budino is a luxuriously decadent dessert that was made for chocolate lovers! It’s ridiculously easy to make and is uniquely flavored with Chinese five spice.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder*
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) whole milk
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy cream
- 4 oz (120 g) 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Chocolate shavings
- Set aside a large fine mesh sieve placed over a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, cocoa powder, sugar, five spice powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the milk and heavy cream then place the saucepan over medium heat and whisk frequently. As soon as the mixture starts to bubble, whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes. Test it by running a finger along the back of the spoon. If it leaves a trail, it’s done.
- Turn off the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is thick.
- Strain the mixture through the fine mesh sieve, gently stirring and pressing the spoon against the sieve to get out as much pudding as possible without pushing through any egg chunks that may have formed. Be sure to scrape off any pudding that’s on the underside of the sieve.
- Divide the strained budino mixture into 4 5-oz ramekins and place on a small baking sheet. Wiggle them around and give them a little tap to even out the surface then chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours until set.
- In a small bowl using an electric hand mixer, whip the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on top each budino and top with chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
Chinese Five Spice: Make sure you get a salt free blend. We use this five spice from The Spice Hunter.
The mixture heats up very quickly as it cooks, so be sure to keep a close eye on it and whisk frequently as instructed.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 17.2 g
- Sodium: 85.6 mg
- Fat: 25.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.2 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
Keywords: five spice dark chocolate budino, dark chocolate budino, dark chocolate budini, five spice dark chocolate budini