This Italian Carrot Cake is light, fluffy, and perfectly sweet. It’s made with freshly shredded carrots and scented with orange zest to give it a delightfully bright flavor!
- 350 g (3 packed cups) shredded carrots, about 5-7 carrots
- 180 g (2 cups) almond flour
- 120 g (1 cup) tipo 00 OR all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 225 g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) neutral oil
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 or 10-inch (23-25 cm) springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Wash, peel, and shred the carrots. You can do this by hand or use a food processor (our preferred method). If using a food processor, use a shredder attachment and use the side with the bigger holes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the sugar and eggs on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until thick and drizzly.
- With the mixer still on, gradually add the oil then continue mixing for 1 minute. Add the orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the flour mixture with a silicone spatula until a few flour lumps remain. Then fold in the shredded carrots until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and bake for 55-58 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. When the timer has about 20 minutes left, loosely cover the top of the cake with a tent of foil to prevent over browning.
- Once baked, let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then run a knife along the edges and release the sides of the springform pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before topping it with powdered sugar, about 1.5 hours.
- Once cooled, dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar and enjoy!
**Please note that the volume measurement for the oil and the juice and zest do not change when using the scale feature on the recipe card. Be sure to double or triple the amount when scaling up the recipe.
Measure the carrots after shredding.
Store at room temperature for up to 3 days by covering it with a cloche. You can also double wrap it in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
After a while the powdered sugar will dissolve into the cake, so you may need to re-dust it.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 25.4 g
- Sodium: 132.9 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6.7 g