This Lamb Bolognese is a delicious variation of an Italian classic. It’s rich in flavor and makes a super cozy weeknight meal!
- 1 tbsp (14 g) salted butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup (97 g) yellow onion, diced
- 2/3 cup (90 g) celery, diced, about 2 ribs of celery
- 2/3 cup (95 g) carrots, diced, about 1 large carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (454 g) ground lamb, 80% lean
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried Italian parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2–1 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 1/4 cup (62 g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) whole milk
- 10 oz (282 g) spaghetti or wide shaped pasta, uncooked
- In a deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown the lamb, about 5-7 minutes. Drain the fat and set the lamb aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the oregano, parsley, dill, cumin, crushed red pepper (optional), salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cooking wine and scrape up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Add the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes.
- As the sauce gets closer to being done, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti until al dente according to package instructions.
- Remove the lid and stir the milk into the sauce. Cover it back up and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine everything. Top with freshly grated parmesan and enjoy!
Place any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. If freezing, freeze the sauce by itself for up to 3 months then thaw overnight in the fridge.
Nutrition info is for 1 out of 4 servings.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 738
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 654.1 mg
- Fat: 35.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 69 g
- Fiber: 6.3 g
- Protein: 31.5 g
Keywords: lamb bolognese, spaghetti bolognese