This miso caramel millionaire’s shortbread is a delicious and unique twist on a classic dessert. It’s made with a delicate shortbread and topped with a rich layer of miso caramel and chocolate ganache.
- 180 g (1 1/2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 170 g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 70 g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 14-oz (396 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 100 g (1/2 cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 113 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 180 g (6 oz) 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) baking pan with butter and line with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on all sides.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the cold butter cubes and cut it into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter. Cut until the butter forms pea sized chunks. The dough will be dry and crumbly.
- Tip the dough into the baking pan and firmly pack it in using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup.*
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Set aside to cool while you make the caramel.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, and butter while stirring frequently (we recommend using a silicone spatula).
- Once melted, whisk in the miso paste until dissolved.
- Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to prevent any caramel from burning.
- As it cooks, it will bubble and thicken. Continue stirring until it reaches a temperature of 225°F (107°C).
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread crust and spread it into an even layer using a small offset spatula.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- In a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, stir the chocolate and cream together until melted.* The bowl should not be touching the water.
- Pour it over the caramel layer and spread it evenly with a small offset spatula.
- Generously sprinkle the top with flaky sea salt.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours then remove the shortbread from the pan and slice into pieces. If you like your chocolate to have more bite, leave it in the fridge for a couple more hours.
Packing the shortbread: Use a spoon to swipe down the edges of the shortbread before baking. This will ensure that your layers are visible and even on the sides.
Melting the Chocolate: You can also heat the chocolate and cream in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals, stirring in between.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 26.6 g
- Sodium: 74.4 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.1 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
Keywords: miso caramel millionaires shortbread, millionaire's shortbread