These Miso Salmon Bowls are made with an umami rich miso marinade, and topped with fresh veggies and spicy wasabi mayo. They’re packed with flavor and make an easy lunch or dinner meal for four.
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 pound (454 g) skinless salmon fillet
- 4 tbsp kewpie mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp wasabi paste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Green onions, sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together the miso and hot water until dissolved. Add the soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and honey and whisk until well combined.
- Cut the salmon into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks and add to the bowl of miso marinade. Toss to coat then cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the wasabi mayo by combining the kewpie mayo, wasabi paste, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) and cover a large baking pan with foil. This is also a good time to cook the rice and prep the toppings while the salmon is still marinating.
- Arrange the salmon chunks on the prepared baking sheet and discard any excess marinade. Bake for 10 minutes until cooked through. Turn on the broiler and cook for 2 minutes until browned on the outside. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Assemble the bowls by placing the salmon chunks on top of the rice. Top with sliced avocado, cucumber slices, sesame seeds, and green onions. Finish it off with a drizzle of the wasabi mayo.
The white rice can be substituted with brown rice or sushi rice.
If you’re scaling the recipe up, just note that the gram measurement of the salmon does not automatically increase when using the scale feature.
Storing: Cool the salmon to room temperature before storing in an airtight container and refrigerating for 1-2 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 656
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 480.7 mg
- Fat: 28.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.7 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 29.5 g
Keywords: miso salmon bowls, salmon with wasabi mayo