- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup (115 g) yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (70 g) shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (1 tsp), freshly minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp (21 g) salted butter
- 1 (28 oz) can (794 g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup basil (25 g), packed
- 2 tsp herbes de provence*
- 1 tbsp white cooking wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tomato purée
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and shallots and sauté them until translucent.
- Add the butter and garlic, stirring around until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, heavy cream, and salt and pepper. Stir until everything is fully combined.
- Stir in the basil, herbes de provence, and cooking wine. Simmer and cook through for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and use an immersion blender to purée the soup until smooth. Stir in the tomato purée and cook through for about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Herbes de Provence: use a high-quality herbes de provence with lavender in it.
As the soup begins to cool slightly, it will thicken up into a nice creamy consistency.
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 1438.2 mg
- Fat: 28.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.9 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 62.3 mg
Keywords: creamy tomato basil soup, tomato soup recipe, tomato basil soup recipe, fall soup, fall soup recipe, best fall soups, winter soup recipe