This winter farro bowl is full of spinach, sweet potatoes, labneh, herbs, a poached egg, and a drizzle of chili oil. It healthy and cozy, making it a great breakfast or lunch to enjoy in the winter.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup (100 g) uncooked farro
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cups (90 g) spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 tbsp labneh
- Chili oil, to serve
- Herbs, to serve
Roast the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Toss until evenly coated.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. Meanwhile, cook the farro.
Cook the Farro:
- Before cooking your farro, give it a good rinse to remove the powdery coating.
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add a few pinches of salt to the water then add the rinsed farro. Stir and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and boil for 30 minutes uncovered.*
Sauté the Spinach:
- Add washed spinach to a nonstick pan placed over medium heat.
- Sauté until wilted (about 3 minutes). You can cook it with oil, onion, and spices, but I prefer a plain sauté for this bowl. You’ll get plenty of flavor from the labneh and seasonings placed on top.
Poach the Eggs*:
- Fill a small or medium sized pot with at least 4 inches of water. Place over high heat and pour the apple cider vinegar into the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low.
- Place a small fine mesh strainer over a small ramekin. Crack the egg into the strainer and allow it to strain out the thinner white liquid for about 15 seconds.
- With a wooden spoon, make a swirl of water in the pot and gently but quickly add the egg to the swirl.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate covered with paper towels. This helps to remove any excess water.
- Put 2 tbsp labneh into a wide bowl, spreading it out with a spoon. Top with seasonings of your choice. We used these.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the side along with the spinach and 1/4 cup of farro.
- Gently pick up the egg and place in the middle on top of the labneh. Be careful not to break it.
- Pour chili oil on top of the egg and labneh. Tuck in a piece of buttered sourdough toast and enjoy!
Tip for Cooking Farro: If your farro is still too wet after cooking, you can add it to a half sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Place it in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) and bake for a few minutes until dry.
Poaching the Eggs: Cook one egg at a time. No need to add extra apple cider vinegar to the pot. Once you’re done with one, cook the others starting from step 3.
If you’re in a pinch, cook your sweet potatoes and farro the night before. When ready to serve, heat them in the microwave until warm.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 338.1 mg
- Fat: 17.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.5 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 18.3 g
Keywords: winter farro bowl, breakfast bowl recipe, healthy breakfast bowl, farro bowl, farro breakfast bowl