Chocolate lovers, this one is for you! These fudgy brown butter crinkle top brownies are bursting with chocolate flavor. They’re super fudgy on the inside and the brown butter makes them ultra decadent. Plus, they have that classic shiny top that we all look for in a good brownie!
Ingredients to Make These Fudgy Brown Butter Crinkle Top Brownies
- Unsalted Butter: You’ll need 210g of unsalted butter. It should come out to 180g once browned.
- Dark Chocolate: We use 70% dark chocolate in this recipe.
- Eggs: You’ll need 3 large room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla Extract: Like with most baked goods, vanilla extract helps to round out the flavors.
- Granulated & Brown Sugar: A blend of granulated and light brown sugar are used in this recipe.
- Unsweetened Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder: We highly recommend that you use dutch-processed cocoa powder. This is because it deepens the chocolate flavor which is key for extra tasty goodness.
- All-Purpose Flour: This recipe calls for a little less than ⅔ cup of flour.
- Espresso Powder: This enhances the chocolate flavor in the brownies, and you only need ½ tsp to do the job. Don’t worry about it tasting like coffee. Since it’s a small amount, you won’t even taste it.
- Salt: You’ll need ¼ tsp of salt.
How to Make These Brownies
- First you’ll want to brown your butter to allow it some time to cool while you prepare the other ingredients. You’re going to start with 210g and end up with 180g after the butter has browned. Once it’s done cooking, pour it over the chocolate and stir together until smooth. Then set the mixture aside to cool.
- As the butter and chocolate mixture is cooling, sift the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt into a bowl. Sifting your dry ingredients ensures that the batter is lump free. As a result, you’ll avoid getting clumps of dry cocoa powder throughout your brownies.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together on medium speed. Then slowly add the sugars and beat everything for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. This adds air to your batter which gives it a slight rise. Doing this step also helps to get that nice shiny, crinkly crust.
- Add the cooled chocolate/butter mixture followed by the dry ingredients. Then transfer to your prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Tips for Making Super Fudgy Brownies
- Under bake: To get that nice fudgy texture, you’ll need to under bake your brownies just a little bit. You’ll know when they’re done if there are a few fudgy crumbs left on a toothpick inserted into the center. If it comes out clean, they’re over baked. You’ll want to keep a close eye on them to prevent them from getting to this stage.
- Use Melted Butter: In this case, we’re melting and browning the butter, which is a bonus! Using melted butter in things like brownies and cookies helps to give them that chewier/fudgier texture.
Fudgy Brown Butter Crinkle Top Brownies
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 16 brownies 1x
- Category: Brownies, Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For all you chocolate lovers out there, these brown butter brownies are sure to satisfy your cravings! They’re rich, chocolatey, and ultra fudgy. They even have that classic crinkly top that makes these brownies top notch.
- 210 g (15 tbsp) unsalted butter, cubed
- 113 g (4 oz) dark chocolate (70%), chopped
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 133 g (⅔ cup) granulated sugar
- 133 g (⅔ cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 80 g (⅔ cup) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 50 g (½ cup) unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8″ baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Place chopped chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Continue cooking until it starts to crackle and foam.
- Once it starts to crackle and foam up, stir frequently until the butter emits a nutty aroma and is deep amber in color. Immediately pour over the bowl of chopped chocolate, being sure to include the brown bits at the bottom. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk on medium speed until combined.
- On low speed, gradually pour in both sugars. Increase to medium-high speed and whisk for 2 minutes until thick and fluffy.
- Once the eggs have whisked, lower the speed to the lowest setting and add the chocolate/butter mixture. Mix until lightly combined (there should be a few streaks).
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and scrape the bottom and sides with a rubber spatula to ensure everything is mixed in. Be careful not to over mix in order to prevent deflating the eggs.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes (ours were perfect at 32.5 minutes), rotating halfway through. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few fudgy crumbs.
- Cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting into squares.
Keywords: fudgy brownies, brownies recipe, best brownie recipe, homemade brownies, brown butter, chocolate dessert, gooey brownies
Leave a Reply