This fall harvest salad will make an amazing addition to your fall menu! It’s a delicious combination of pears, figs, pecans, and goat cheese. All of which are topped with a sweet and tangy vinaigrette. No need to cook anything. Just throw it all together and give it a good toss!
Fall Harvest Salad with Goat Cheese and Fresh Pears
If you’ve got extra pears and figs lying around, this is the recipe for you! This fall salad is sweet, tangy, and super easy to make! It takes less than 20 minutes to throw it all together. The creamy goat cheese along with the sweet and tangy dressing makes this salad anything but basic. It’s definitely restaurant quality! While fall is the time for hearty soups and casseroles, it’s nice to have something light every one and a while. That’s where this healthy fall salad comes in! It’s perfect as a side dish or a light lunch!
- Romaine Lettuce: This adds a nice crisp crunch.
- Baby Spring Mix: This is the base of the salad. If you don’t have this mix, you can use a mixture of baby spinach, arugula, radicchio, and green leaf lettuce.
- Chopped Pecans: Since this is a fall salad, we added some chopped pecans. You can also use walnuts if you like.
- Red Onions: A small amount of thinly sliced onions adds a nice bite.
- Pear: You’ll need one thinly sliced pear. Make sure it’s nice and ripe before slicing. You want it to be tender and not hard.
- Croutons: We like to make our own, but feel free to use what you have. Our croutons are a combination of bread (any kind), parmesan, and olive oil. Then we air-fry it in the toaster oven.
- Herbed Goat Cheese: We used CHEVOO goat cheese cubes which are soaked in olive oil. Any creamy, cubed goat cheese will work. But, we highly recommend herbed cheese. It’s adds an extra bit of flavor.
- Figs: Another tasty fall fruit! Plus it pairs well with the goat cheese.
Herbed Balsamic Vinaigrette
This may look like a long list of ingredients, but many are kitchen staples that you likely already have. If you have any questions about substitutions, check out the FAQ section below or ask us a question in the comments!
- Balsamic Vinegar: We use balsamic vinegar of Modena, but you can use regular if that’s what you have on hand.
- Safflower Oil: While safflower oil yields the best taste, you can use olive oil instead.
- Dijon Mustard: This adds a bit of extra flavor and tanginess.
- Herbs & Spices: All the herbs and spices we use for this recipe are dried. These include herbes de Provence, dried oregano, and dried shallots. They should be available at most stores in the spice section.
- Salt & White Pepper: These help bring out the other flavors in the dressing.
- Honey: This helps to cut through the acidity, as well as adding a nice bit of sweetness.
- White Cooking Wine: This adds extra flavor and helps to thin out the dressing.
Goat Cheese Alternatives
While we highly recommend goat cheese, we understand that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. So here’s a list of cheeses that pair just as well with this salad:
- Gorgonzola Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Roquefort (a type of blue cheese)
How to Make This Fall Harvest Salad
- First, wash your lettuce and spring mix. Then add it to a large bowl.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients on top.
- Then make the dressing using an immersion blender.
- Lastly, pour the dressing over the top and give it all a good toss! Easy, right!
Yes! White pepper is milder in flavor, so you may need to start with a smaller amount of black pepper.
For this recipe, you can use water in place of the wine. The wine adds flavor, but it’s mainly for thinning out the dressing. So if you don’t have any, water will do just fine!
Yes, we’ve tried both, and olive oil works just as well.
More Salad Recipes You’ll LovePrint
For the Salad:
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 4 cups (180 g) baby spring mix, loosely packed
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped pecans
- ¼ cup (25 g) red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pear, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 figs, sliced
- 4 oz (113 g) goat cheese
For the Dressing:
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) balsamic vinegar of Modena* (see notes)
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) safflower oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp herbes de Provence
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried shallots
- ¼ tsp white pepper* (see notes)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp white cooking wine
- Wash your leafy greens and place them in a large bowl. Add the pecans, red onions, pears, figs, goat cheese, and croutons.
- For the dressing, place the oil, vinegar, and remaining ingredients in an immersion blender. Blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Give everything a good toss and enjoy!
Balsamic Vinegar of Modena: If you don’t have this specific one, regular balsamic vinegar will work just fine.
White Pepper: You can use black pepper if you don’t have any white pepper on hand. Start with a smaller amount since black pepper is stronger.
Nutrition information is for the salad only (without dressing)
Keywords: fall harvest salad, fall salad, healthy fall salad