These double chocolate cookies are soft & chewy in the center and filled with chunks of dark chocolate. They also contain a secret ingredient that’s sure to keep you grabbing for more. Can you guess what makes these cookies so drool-worthy? Malted milk powder! The recipe for these cookies is a breeze and takes little to no time at all.
Ingredients for Soft & Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
- All-Purpose Flour: You’ll need 270 g or about 2 ¼ cups for this recipe.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: You can use any kind but dutch-processed is what we use for a deeper chocolate flavor.
- Malted Milk Powder: Surprise! This is our secret ingredient for ultra tasty chocolate cookies. They add an extra bit of flavor that makes these cookies so so good.
- Baking Soda: 1 teaspoon is needed for this recipe
- Salt: You’ll need ½ teaspoon
- Unsalted Butter: Make sure your butter is softened to room temperature
- Granulated & Light Brown Sugar: A mix of both balances out the texture of the cookies
- Eggs: You’ll need 2 large room temperature eggs
- Vanilla Extract: 2 teaspoons
- Chopped Dark Chocolate: Use the best dark chocolate you can get your hands on. It’s well worth it! We typically like to use 70% dark chocolate in our cookies.
Malted milk powder adds depth as well as sweetness that amps up the flavor of things such as cookies and pancakes. Carnation is probably the most popular brand that sells it, and you should be able to find it at most food stores. It’s a great ingredient to use for just about any sweet thing (besides malts of course!). So next time you make frosting, add a touch of malted milk powder and see how you like it!
How to Make These Double Chocolate Cookies
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars. Then, mix in the eggs and vanilla extract, followed by the dry ingredients and chopped chocolate.
- Scoop the cookies into a baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 1 hour to let them set. You’ll need to chill them in order to prevent too much spreading in the oven. While the cookies are chilling, preheat the oven about 20 minutes before taking them out of the fridge.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before placing them on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk and a generous sprinkle of flaky sea salt!
Tips for the Best Soft & Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
- Use High Quality Chocolate: This is an absolute must for these cookies to ensure you get the best flavor. For the chopped chocolate, we like to use Guittard’s 70% dark chocolate baking bars.
- Serve them with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt as this gives the chocolate an extra boost of depth.
- Under Bake: As with most cookies, you’ll want to slightly under bake these in order to maintain that soft & chewy texture.
More Sweet TreatsPrint
These double chocolate cookies are soft, chewy, and rich in chocolatey goodness. The secret to their complex flavor is malted milk powder, which adds a touch of richness. The perfect cookie recipe for any chocolate lover!
- 270 g (2 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 50 g (½ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder (use dutch processed for a deeper flavor)
- 70 g (½ cup) malted milk powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 226 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temp
- 200 g (1 cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 100 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 237 g (8 oz) chopped dark chocolate
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add the eggs in one at a time. Mix in the vanilla extract. Scrape the sides down as needed.
- On low speed, add the flour in three additions until just combined. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure everything is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Using a 3 tbsp cookie scoop, place the cookies on a baking sheet. Don’t worry about spacing them out. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- About 20 minutes before removing the cookies from the fridge, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the cookies have chilled, space them about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the edges have set and the centers look slightly underdone.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with a glass of milk and a generous sprinkle of flaky sea salt if desired.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, double chocolate chip cookies, chewy chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chocolate chip cookies, double chocolate chip cookies recipe, cookie recipe